Biting into a juicy, summer-fresh peach is one of life’s real pleasures. And when that velvety, sweet fruit is at its height of perfection, we just can’t get enough: Summer isn’t complete until you gobble one up over the kitchen sink as the juice drips down your chin! But there are so many more ways to use fresh peaches—check out these 10 yummy ideas.
1. Peachy flapjacks. Go all out for breakfast with a hit of summery goodness. Cook peaches right into some light and fluffy pancakes. Stir up our Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix, then cut peaches into about 1-inch (5 cm) cubes and gently fold into the batter just before cooking. You can also start from scratch with your favourite homemade blueberry or banana pancake recipe and swap out the fruit for peaches.
2. Breakfast spread. When peaches are super ripe, they’re easy to mash without special appliances. Peel and pit some extra-ripe peaches, add a few teaspoons of sugar and smash into a coarse purée with a potato masher. For brunch, swirl some of this sweet peach purée into Greek yogourt—the tanginess of the yogourt balances the sweetness—or use it as a topping on French toast, pancakes or scones.
3. Lunchtime salsa. For a bright, light, vibrant salsa, coarsely chop grilled or fresh peach halves, and toss with finely chopped red onion, jalapeño and red pepper; a splash of lime juice; and chopped fresh mint. It tastes delicious with pork or poultry, or on top of a Compliments Balance Wild Pacific Salmon Burger. And a drizzle of your favourite Compliments or Panache salad dressing.
4. Juicy sips. That peach purée you made for breakfast (see number 2 above) is just the beginning of a tasty drink. Add a couple of spoonfuls to a tall glass, top up with chilled Compliments Peach Sparkling Water and ice, and serve with a soda spoon. Or, for a special occasion, serve classic Bellinis. Just add a dollop of peach purée to a champagne flute and top up with sparkling wine.
5. Sophisticated appetizer. Don’t forget to make peaches the star appetizer at your next party. This is a job for firm, just-ripe peaches, cut into bite-size wedges, wrapped with Panache Prosciutto and secured with picks. It’s a fun play on classic ham and melon.
6. Perfect pork. Peaches pair beautifully with the earthy sweetness of pork, so why not make a sautéed topping for our bratwurst sausage, tenderloin or chops? Simply cut up some cooked bacon and toss with chopped onion, thinly sliced peaches, pepper and a pinch of dried thyme. Heat through and serve. A dollop of Dijon mustard offers the perfect tangy counterpoint.
7. Lush compote. If those peaches you brought home last week are looking a little past their prime, peeling and stewing makes everything right again. Add peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped peaches to a saucepan with some finely minced fresh ginger and a dash of brandy. Simmer until the chunks break down just a bit, and—voilà!—you’ve got compote. Serve over simple grilled or poached chicken thighs, pork or salmon, or make it part of your next cheese board.
8. Honey cup. In summertime, fresh peaches don’t need a lot of fuss to make them even more delicious. But for instant wow, peel, pit and dice a few perfectly ripe peaches, toss with a drizzle of Compliments Liquid Honey and spoon into our Compliments Dessert Shells or Compliments Ice Cream Cups. Top with Compliments French Vanilla Ice cream, whipped cream, or for a lighter approach, Compliments French Vanilla Frozen Yogurt.
9. Barbecued dessert. Fresh peaches—halved and pitted—grill up beautifully. Their abundant natural sugars mean they quickly develop great-looking grill marks and a caramelized, intensified peach flavour. A bowl of grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream is a super easy, super fun dessert on barbecue night.
10. Top-rated cake. Bake up white or vanilla Compliments Gluten-Free Cake Mix and top with a dollop of freshly whipped cream (sugar and vanilla optional) and a tumble of hot-off-the-grill peaches. If it’s just too hot to fire up the oven, garnish our ready-to-serve Panache New York Cheesecake Applause Collection with a generous mound of fresh, peeled, pitted and sliced peaches. Perfect!